Friday, March 23, 2012

Spring! Tulips, Trees & Geese, Oh My!

Yes, it's springtime in New Cumberland.  Although it only officially began Tuesday, the spring weather has been with us for weeks.  Winter was never really committed to us this year anyway.  It decided to visit elsewhere this year and that's fine with me.  Maybe the lack of winter weather this year will help me to appreciate next year's snowfalls, ice and bitter temperatures.  Nah, I doubt it.
Borough Park after February snowfall.
I can only recall 3 snowfalls this year.  The one at the end of October, which was still Autumn, one in January, and another in early February.  We got off easy.  I thought for sure after last year's torrential rains, the precipitation would continue through the winter and we would have a record snowfall this year.  I'm glad I was wrong.
View from Reno between Front and Second.
I've been taking advantage of this beautiful weather and taking walks around town. One thing for sure is we have a lot of lovely spring trees, shrubs and flowers.  Pink and white blossomed trees dot the landscape.  My daughter picked up some of the fallen pink blossoms from the ground and tossed them up saying, "Look, pink snow!"   I'll take that snow any day over the real stuff.  Gorgeous daffodils and hyacinths are in bloom everywhere these days.  In the past few days, I've noticed the tulips have just begun to open.  Tulips are my favorite.  When the tulips show up, the snow is usually gone for good.
Borough Park ball fields are springing to life.
A walk through borough park makes me feel like we are further into spring than we actually are.  The little tykes are practicing ball, other tots are frolicking on the play sets, while numerous adults walk or run laps.  Haven't noticed as many geese as in previous years.  One can only hope that many of them have found another place to poop and lay eggs this year.  I still scratch my head over the ban on dogs at the park.  We usually have all these geese wandering and doing their business all over the park.  No one cleans up after them.  Then we have this ban on dogs at the park.  99% of dog owners clean up after their dogs and keep them on leashes, but they are not allowed.  On top of that, the dogs would scare away the messy geese.  I am not a huge dog fan, but it's about time New Cumberland allow them in the park.
Bridge Street Business District.
Another walk through town took me up Bridge Street, through the business district.  I love the look of Bridge Street in the spring.  Those trees look like white puffballs just swaying in the breeze.  I wish they would stay like that all year round.
Elkwood Park
Further up, I passed Elkwood park, which was inundated with daffodils.  As I walked up Bridge Street, lovely blooms popped up in front of churches, homes and businesses. 
Park Avenue
I looped back to the library where the grounds are always appealing and well groomed.  Daffodils and pink blossoms painted the grounds.
New Cumberland Library
My travels then took me up near the new school.  Just as I walked across Seventh street, I glanced back, and WOW, this house just screamed spring.  Golden forsythia bushes along with those bright pink and white trees.  If that isn't one of the best springtime landscapes in town, I don't know what is.

I think it especially stands out against the lack of color coming from the grounds at the new school.  Let's all pray for rain, so the grass starts to grow on the hill below the new school.  Then we won't have to look at that drab brown dirt any longer. 
The hill below the new Hillside School has been planted with grass seed.
Spring has just begun.  Who knows what this spring will hold for us?  I can only hope we avoid the violent and drenching storms of last spring and summer.  Happy Spring Everyone.  Enjoy this beauteous weather while it lasts!

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in New Cumberland and loved the it there and often missed living there, it was a great place to grow up and such a safe town. My husband grew up there as well and we have many wonderful memories of our time there...one fun memory is I remember the Lazy 15 on the corner of Bridge and 5th St, that is where my husband worked till he went into the Navy, it was a fun place to go. They were the days! CAM77

    ReplyDelete